• Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Opening Ceremony cuts 23 employees from their staff

Opening Ceremony cuts 23 employees from their staff

By Sara Ehlers

May 31, 2018

Fashion label Opening Ceremony recently has been making some changes in their staffing. The contemporary brand officially laid of 23 employees just last week.

According to reports from both Page Six and WWD, Opening Ceremony has confirmed these cuts. The change in staff includes cuts in the design staff as well, but are meant to help streamline the business for the future. “These are never easy decisions and we obviously are supportive and thankful for the team that we have,” co-founder Carol Lim told WWD. “It was something we felt was actually right for the business and we wanted to remain nimble and productive and do something from a position of strength."

Besides the design staff, a lot of corporate staff were cut as well "in order to focus operations on core business objectives," a rep told Page Six. The company, founded by Lim and Humberto Leon in 2002, has been owned by private equity firm Berkshire Partners for four years now. Since then, the company has cut approximately half of its corporate staff. Earlier this year, it was also reported by WWD that the label sought out a new investor. Although these cuts are meant to help re-focus the business's objectives, only time will tell if Opening Ceremony will expect to see more cuts in the future.