Yoga, the latest craze in athleisure wear

London - Yoga, once a physical and spiritual exercise discipline, is now a major source of fashion inspiration for numerous yoga, athleisure and fitness wear brands.

Sportswear is the fastest growing sector in women's ready-to-wear, and in the UK is expected to surpass 8 billion dollars by 2019, according to research company Key Note. In the UK, the sportswear market grew in value by 5.4 percent in 2012, with sports clothing accounting for approximately 71 percent of total market value and sports footwear making up the remaining 29 percent.

The latest addition to the athleisure market is Parisian label ba&sh, who have joined forces with yoga specialist Ana Heart for a capsule collection. The clothes, of course, are to be worn at your local yoga class, but are also suitable for everyday casual wear.

Ana Heart is just one of the latest brands marketing itself as the go-to sports-wear label for yoga enthusiasts, a trendy exercise favored by the fashion pack.

A growing popularity to stay fit demands functional sportswear

What companies like Ana Heart are tapping into, is that with raised awareness for the importance of implementing physical fitness into our everyday lives, participation in these activities will lead to a greater demand for functional sportswear, and increased popularity of performance-enhancing goods. Hence also a rise in demand for smart watches and tech wear.

Net-a-Porter was quick to embrace the sportswear trend, launching an entire new category for its luxury e-commerce site: Net-a-Sporter. Offering athletic wear across 11 sporting disciplines including equestrian, tennis, golf, yoga, cross fit, swim and surf, sail and ski, the category offers plenty of stylish options. "Women want high-performing, stylish pieces that can be worn all day long," stated Alison Loenis, president of Net-a-Porter. "They're looking for product to take them from a Pilates class to lunch with a friend, adapting their workout wear into more of a day look."

 

RELATED NEWS

MORE NEWS

 

Latest jobs

 

MOST READ