Art and design has a long and distinguished history of being taught in the city of Portsmouth, with an art school going back to the 1880s. Today, the School of Art, Design and Performance has distinctive courses with experienced staff and specialist resources.
All our graduates are highly employable, informed practitioners with an individual voice.
What we offer
The experience we offer combines:
- Emphasis on your own creative and personal development
- Skills, knowledge and awareness from enthusiastic staff with high levels of expertise
- Integrated links with industry to further your professional career
- Opportunities to exhibit externally, enter national and international competitions, and work on live projects
- Development of transferable skills including: research, project management and communication skills
- We are located in the Eldon Building, boasting excellent facilities and substantial investment in IT, estates and equipment. Our workshops are well-resourced and managed, and student feedback indicates high levels of satisfaction with our resources tailored to practice-based students.
BA students can do a placement year to experience working in a relevant sector.
We create a valuable learning environment in which students can progress from BA to postgraduate taught masters (MA) courses or the research degree programme (PhD).
Research skills are common to all the taught courses and you will be guided in appropriate research processes to further your learning and experimentation.
The culture of research is very important in the School and reflected in the aspirations of the staff as well as in their teaching.
For more info: www.port.ac.uk.
At the University of Portsmouth, we adopt an approach to the education of fashion and textile design that encourages innovation, self-awareness and critical thinking. We embed in our course curriculum the values of sustainable and ethical design principles. Our approach is to recognise individual strengths and develop confident, knowledgeable professionals.
Our students apply creative and innovative research methods and develop a profound respect for traditional skills and craftsmanship which provides the catalyst for their authentic and original designs. Through creative exchange and collaboration our students explore these processes alongside innovative digital technologies, pushing the boundaries of fashion and textile design further.
A fashion and textile graduate from the University of Portsmouth can expect to develop a distinctive, innovative and creative design expertise, integrated with subject specific business knowledge. Making them a desirable candidate in a wide range of employment opportunities in the fashion and textiles industry worldwide.
University of Portsmouth graduates are employed at various levels of the Fashion Industry. Graduates work for companies such as Burberry, Gucci, Hugo Boss, Dazed and Confused, Matthew Williamson, Mother of Pearl, River Island, Fat Face, Marks and Spencer and John Lewis.
For more info please click here.